Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Can Martial Arts help my Child in school?


Can Martial Arts help my Child in school?









There have been many studies that show training in the martial arts is great for kids. At Self Defense Academy we teach a Korean martial art called “Hapkido”. Our curriculum is not only designed to promote physical fitness but also builds a positive outlook, a high self-esteem, and a secure confidence. But can a martial art like Hapkido actually help your child in school? I started thinking about this last week as I sat watching one of my students being inducted into the National Honor Society at Howell High School. Casey Started classes with me about 7 years ago and tested for her Black Belt in Hapkido last year. Over the last few years I have watched her excel both on and off the mat. Every marking period I have the kids bring in their report cards and give a medal to the students who are on the honor roll. An emphasis on academics should be just as important as the physical movements of the art. Martial Arts teach a child “discipline” which is hard to find these days. This discipline of coming to class a few times a week, learning new things, repeating moves already mastered and striving to push yourself to be the best that you can.... translates easily to school work, studying, and general life.  Awesome job Casey, it was an honor for me to have been part of the ceremony.


Master McCann

No comments:

Post a Comment